Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Guatemala - Ixil adventures

Guatemala - After 28 (almost 29) years of wanting to travel the world and almost as many years of being afraid to do it alone I have finally sucked it up and did it! In the process, I fell further in love with this country and had whole new worlds open up before me.

After I left Panajachel I caught the bus up to Nebaj. The journey involved taking 3 different chicken buses and with each one I become increasingly the source of much hushed whispers and giggles around me. Clearly, I was moving waaaay off the gringo trail. On the second bus towards Quiche a young woman spent most of the 3 hour trip staring at me and looking away whenever I caught her looking at me. She followed me into the washroom at the bus station once we had arrived and when I said hello to her she covered her face in her hands, giggled and ran away. This would soon become a familiar experience as I made my way through Nebaj and Acul. I knew I was a strange novelty when packs of small children followed me through the streets and groups of women called out to me to wave and giggle (men are rarely a good indicator since they just stare no matter where you go).

More ... Traveljournals.net

No comments: